Autumn Home Maintenance
Thursday, September 24, 2020
Like so many people, we are ready for this crazy year of 2020 to be over; we still have a few months to go though. Here are some simple ways to make your winter go a little smoother. With proper planning and annual maintenance, you can keep some nasty surprises from springing up this winter.
- Winterize and feed your lawn so that it's got a jump on next spring. If you feed it now, it'll grow better next spring.
- Maintain your sprinkler system. If you have an underground system, you'll need to blow the water out so that it doesn't crack the lines or heads when water freezes in it. Most landscaping professionals can do it for you, of if you have the equipment you can easily do it yourself.
- Clean up your yard, gardens and shrubs, apply extra insullating mulch and dig up the bulbs and plants that you want to save if they won't handle the cold well.
- Remove dirt from ceramic or clay pots so that they don't crack from the soil freezing in them.
- Winterize your lawn equipment so that it runs well next year.
- Drain you garden hoses and disconnect them from water spigots to prevent damage from freezing water.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts so that ice melt can move freely.
- Check the exterior and roof of your home, get necessary maintenance done before winter sets in.
- Winterize your pool, make sure the cover is in good shape.
- Insulate exposed pipes.
- Seal gaps so that you don't get any unwanted visitors looking for a warm place in your house or outbuildings.
- Check walkways, stairs and railings so that they're as safe as possible in snowy or icy conditions.
- Check and repair weather stripping and caulking on doors and windows.
- Clean, cover and/or put away outdoor furniture and grills.
- Get your winter supplies ready: ice melt, shovels, an emergency kit, ice scraper and snow brush for each vehicle.
- Service your snow blower so it's ready for the big storms.
- Change the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbonmonoxide detectors.
- Change the direction on your ceiling fans, clean them while you're up there.
- Clean your dryer vent before it gets cold, it's easier to do it while you can feel your hands.
- Get your furnace, A/C, whole house humidifier and fireplaces serviced.
Now, take a break because you've earned it. We hope this list was helpful!